Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Doctor Who: 10th Doctor Set

So now that the computer is back after a couple weeks in the shop (RAM failed and then the solid state hard drive died), I can get back to posting some updates.  The first two will be my eldest daughter's Christmas presents.  She is a big Doctor Who fan and with Warlord Games now having the license to publish Doctor Who: Into the Time Vortex I picked the 10th and 12th Doctor sets a couple of months go (now is even a better time with a drop in GBP against the dollar as these have to be ordered from the British site vice the U.S. site).  She will likely be getting future sets of aliens as they come out and I will probably be picking up the Doctor sets for myself as well.

Each Doctor set (just the 10th and 12th so far) come with that iteration of the Doctor and four of his companions from that version.  They come in nice cardboard box packaging with a plastic tray/box for the miniatures to sit in.  The plastic tray is surrounded by a cardboard sleeve that gives information on each of the characters.  The miniatures are all approximately 38mm tall, allowing them to have more realistic proportions compared to most 28mm miniatures.



Warlord Games has a painting guide online for each character using Army Painter paints and I followed each of them while painting these miniatures.

The 10th Doctor, David Tennant more recently as the protagonist in Broadchurch (with another season coming!) Kilgrave in Jessica Jones, and previously as Barty Crouch Jr. in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, is in his classic suit and trench coat outfit.



His first companion is the first companion of the new series, Rose Tyler.  While all the models are great I feel this miniature's face does not do a good job of representing Billie Piper at all, but that may be more to my slowly improving painting ability and some funkieness that happened between the paint and the primer...



His next companion is Martha Jones in her classic red leather jacket. This was my first time painting black skin tone and my paint selection is a little limited so while I am happy with the effort I feel it should be a bit paler to truly represent Freema Agyeman's skin tone.



Next companion is Donna Noble, probably my least liked companion to date, but I think they did an excellent job with Catherine Tate's likeness.



The last companion for the 10th Doctor is Donna's grandfather Wilfred Mott.  Another fine sculpt that captured Bernard Cribbins very well.  I did enjoy him as a companion and what he brought to the Donna character.     



Next up is the the 12th Doctor and companions!

*9th Doctor (Christopher Eccleston) and 11th Doctor (Matt Smith) have not been released yet.  For aliens we have Judoon, Zygons, and the Silence.  There is a plastic Darlek kit in the works and a Cyberman set that will include each version over the 50+ years of Doctor Who history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekly Workbench 18 March 2018

I did not get to finish a war band member this weekend as I finished converting the boys triple bunk beds into a regular bunk and a loft bed...