Sunday, April 3, 2016

Battlefield Research

    So living on Okinawa affords me the opportunity to both view and collect material from one of the actual battlefields in the Pacific War.  Back in March for my birthday we went out to the invasion beaches and walked them from Blue 2 up to Red 2 down to Yellow 2 and back.


    I was able to collect sand from each beach, though I do realize for most of those beaches, as they are along a current U.S. military installation, the sand is not likely the same.  Red 2 was a little tricky as the coral comes all the way up to the coral sea wall and there is only sand collected into the tide pools.  This sand is very clay like and fine, much different than the rest of the beaches.

    This weekend I went down south with the family and returned to Kiyamu-Gusuku Ridge, the site of the last major offensive actions by the Marines where elements of 1st Marine Division eliminated the remnants of the Imperial Japanese Army's 62nd Division.  The ridge is on the southern tip of the island and runs from Cape Kiyan north and then east until it comes back to the ocean as detailed by the red line.


    The eastern end has been turned into a really nice park with some beautiful views.


    It also has a  nice little playground, football field, and memorial forest while the southern road is filled with the local surfer's vehicles.



    This park is also the location to the Mayaa-Abu Gama where I collected some more dirt for basing material for future dioramas, or if I chose to do a memorial squad of IJA or 8th Marines.



    I also took a number of photographs of the local flora to help with terrain inspiration, though the areas north of Okinawa City are best as they were relatively untouched by the rain of steel the U.S. Navy dropped on the southern portion of the island.







   Earlier by the eastern lookout I snagged some of the sharp coral that makes up ridge and plan to use it for some similar tree topped outcroppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekly Workbench 18 March 2018

I did not get to finish a war band member this weekend as I finished converting the boys triple bunk beds into a regular bunk and a loft bed...