Sunday, August 20, 2017

Weekly Workbench 20 August 2017

Lots of different workings being done this week, though not as much as I would have liked.  I did figure out some better lighting for my pictures today though, so everything but my Scots should have better lighting!  Remember to click on pictures to see larger versions!

Historical:

Speaking of my Scots, I nearly finished my Thanes for SAGA.  I still have to add the shields, and spear for the Warlord, once I add the LBMS transfers tomorrow.




Sci-Fi:

A little more work on the Boromites testing out some similar schemes.  Not sure I like anything so far and might just strip and restart as I have learned a lot from when I first started on these.


The first picture is where I left off last week.


This next picture is what I tested this week, adding The Army Painter's Rough Iron to the Mag Gun and some of the equipment and then washing in Dark Tone.


The last one was my original plan from a couple of months with the Rough Iron added.  It was washed in Strong Tone and maybe Red Tone on the skin.

Fantasy:

A lot of work done here this week.  First up, Shep and I went done to Fredericksburg to Your Hobby Place, our first trip since they opened and a really nice looking store and gaming area, and picked up a bunch of cheap Reaper Bones miniatures to flesh out the Frostgrave bestiary before we start playing.



Skeleton Swordsmen and Skeleton Spear-men are the most common.  On the right are two packs of Giant Rats, important in one of the scenarios for intro campaign.



Next we have a Great Worm, hungry with empty sewers for the past 1000 years.  We also picked up a ghost to use as a Wraith.  All primed (except the skeletons which we will just use unpainted) and ready for some paint.


We also picked up a Warhound for Shep's war-band and a two figures for Gideon's apprentice (r) and Enchanter (l).  Gideon painted his team himself, not bad for a five year old!





As stated last week, Shep's Chronomancer and Apprentice were the first Frostgrave items to be worked on this week.  Shep, loving all things frog like, wanted green to be the primary color for their attire.












The Apprentice usually comes with a half mask on the left side of her face but we thought a scar from a time jump incident looked much cooler.  I did not feel up to the task of doing a clear hour glass with sand so we went with the red mystic power instead.










 I also got Ivy's Water Elementalist and her apprentice completed.  These were much simpler paint jobs due to the very clean sculpts.


Last up, Duncan wanted a Summoner for his wizard, and as I did not have one I decided to make him one for the Triple Sprue Challenge competition being put on by Osprey Publishing.  The rules are pretty simple, using one sprue from each of the human box sets (Soldiers, Cultists, and Barbarians), create a wizard, apprentice, and a captain.  Putty is OK for filling gaps and metal rods or green stuff may be used to make staffs but no other outside materials or pieces.  All entries must be unpainted and submitted via email or using the hashtags #Frostgrave and #Triplespruechallenge on social media (FB, IG, and Twitter).

Summoner
I made the Summoner using a Barbarian body, Soldier head, Cultist arms, Cultist spear haft, Soldier flame from the torch, and Cultist pouch.

Apprentice
This was a modification from my first attempt, fixing the staff and adding the bag.  The apprentice is made from a Soldier body, Cultist Head, Soldier right arm, Barbarian left arm, Cultist left hand, and Soldier bag.  The staff is made from the Soldier glaive haft, Cultist shield, and Cultist skull head.

The Captain
Originally starting off to be another Enchanter, the Captain has a Cultist body, Barbarian head, Cultist right arm, Soldier left arm, Soldier backpack and pouches, Barbarian right hand with war hammer, and Cultist spear tip for a knife.


That's it for this week but be sure to stop by on Wednesday for the painting guide on Bombur from The Hobbit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekly Workbench 18 March 2018

I did not get to finish a war band member this weekend as I finished converting the boys triple bunk beds into a regular bunk and a loft bed...